'Arderne Gardens’ is an ongoing body of work that explores spaces of celebration in South Africa.
The garden was established in 1845 in Claremont, Cape Town by Ralph Henry Arderne, a successful timber merchant and cabinet maker who hailed from England. The story goes that when Arderne placed orders with tradesmen for timber he asked them to bring back saplings for his beloved garden. This grew into the greatest concentration of exotic trees in Southern Africa and in time the gardens became famous.
What was once a family's private estate is now the property of the city of Cape Town and open to the public. These days the garden plays host to a rich diversity of celebrations.